Question about me_style.css [Solved]

Discussion about MagicEdit features, modules, applications, and HowTos.

Question about me_style.css [Solved]

Postby guiding » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:00 pm

Code: Select all
<link href="styles/me_style.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet">
<link rel="stylesheet" media="screen" href="http://engine.magicedit.com/magicEngine/me_style.css" type="text/css">

What I would like to do is place my styles/me_style.css custom file after the MagicEdit Engine's embedded me_style.css file. Is there any way to do this? Otherwise I'm going to need to do a whole bunch of !important declarations inside my custom me_style.css. I would like to avoid this. In my experience excessive use of !important declarations can become a tricky challenge.
Last edited by guiding on Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guiding

Re: Question about me_style.css

Postby raw10 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:47 pm

MagicEdit should automatically place your me_style.css file after its own me_style.css file. So if you view the source once the page has been generated you should see the magicEngine version injected first, then yours. Send over a link to the page you are working on and we can verify that this is happening correctly.

You are right about using !important, but in order to "harden" the MagicEdit buttons against overly aggressive CSS we do use it occasionally. To override the default styles you may need to use !important, depending on the scenario.
raw10

Postby guiding » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:06 pm

raw10 wrote:Send over a link to the page you are working on and we can verify that this is happening correctly.

http://guiding.free.magicedit.com/index.shtml

Source code before MagicEdit adds its code.

<head>
   <title>Guiding Fitness</title>

<link href="styles/default.css" media="screen" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet">
   <link href="styles/print.css" media="print" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet">
   <script type="text/javascript" src="js/script.js"></script>

<!-- MooTools Accordion -->
   <script type="text/javascript" src="js/mootools.js"></script>
   <script type="text/javascript" src="js/mootools_accordion.js"></script>

<link href="styles/me_style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
</head>

My custom me_style.css is last in the head. Thank you for your help.
guiding

Postby raw10 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:33 pm

Try putting your me_style.css file in the root directory (your "pages" folder) instead of in a subdirectory. The "magic" will only happen if your link looks like this:

<link href="me_style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
raw10

Postby guiding » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:37 pm

Worth a try...

<link href="me_style.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet">
<link rel="stylesheet" media="screen" href="http://engine.magicedit.com/magicEngine/me_style.css" type="text/css">

Unfortunately the same results appear.
guiding

Postby raw10 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:16 pm

We were scratching our heads over this one, since we were testing it on our end and it STILL wasn't working. Then we realized that you were running on a free account, which does not support white labeling. Sorry!

Once you upgrade the account (or port to a paid account), the system will properly put your me_style.css in the right place to override the default styles.

In the meantime, use a good inspector to see how the MagicEdit button styling is being applied, and you can usually work around it.
raw10

Postby guiding » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:55 pm

Ah. Well there's the problem!

Yeah I guess the work around is to do overwrite styles and use !important to insure they stick. We'll let our client decide if they would like to upgrade. In the meantime I'll go the !important route. Thank you for your help!

P.S. What is the difference between upgraded accounts versus paid accounts? Is there a cost difference?
guiding

Re: Question about me_style.css [Solved]

Postby raw10 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:27 am

If your client wants to use their own domain name, they'll need a paid account. Also, paid accounts have 1 GB of storage rather than 50 MB. And there's no difference in pricing between an "upgraded" account and a paid account. It's just that if you want to upgrade you need to contact us using the support page, so just let us know when you're ready.
raw10

Return to MagicEdit Discusson