Notes from Jeff Louie

A place to discuss things that were on our weekly Web Wednesdays show

Notes from Jeff Louie

Postby raw10 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:25 pm

Jeff joined us for today's Web Wednesday, and sent over some awesome feedback. I'm posting it up here for further discussion. Thanks, Jeff!

Positives:
  • Concept is really cool in making yourself accessible to the MagicEdit Community
  • The time frame is just right. I think going over 10 to 15 min is okay, but only for those who want to stick around.
  • I like the discussion of the frameworks. It gave you an opportunity to talk about how to make things simpler and more efficient but also liked how you put in your opinion of good use and bad use. And then it got a question of..what is a framework. So maybe before that, take into consideration if everyone knows what the "topic" you're about to go into.
  • I like how there was 2 of you from MagicEdit.

Deltas:
  • None yet, I think there will be more as more people join and we continue to experience more.

Questions:
  • What is the cap on the number of people?
  • Will Dustin be joining the conversations?
  • How do you keep from one person dominating the whole 30 min?
  • Is 12:00 the best time? Was that picked because it might be lunch time?
  • Are there any other web design / web development firms doing something similar?

Other notes and ideas:
  • Guest speakers in the future?
  • Topic coverage so you can manage expectations. Like are you going to be open to Photoshop questions? Can people ask about Text Editors? Just saying, I think if you list out some of the topics that you'll be covering that may let people know in advance if they should attend.
  • Not sure if you're already doing this, putting the video up onto your forums and having the discussion continue.
  • Random Giveaways?
  • Opportunity to refer to a recent article.
  • While you're talking, keep an eye on the chat on the left side, remind people to put up topics. Even if you can't cover them now, it may lead to a topic for next session so you get the person to come back.
  • Banner in your background where you sit for some marketing
  • See if you can engage other web groups to join in the convo. I know you're listing on SacWebDev, but I'm thinking student groups.

Hope this helps a little bit with the progress. Looking forward to the next one.
raw10

Re: Notes from Jeff Louie

Postby raw10 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:41 pm

Again, thanks for the questions. Regarding knowing what everyone is talking about, in general we're learning that keeping the conversation focused is pretty critical, and maybe repeating the question and giving it a bit of context would help. You're right... not everyone knows what everyone else means (including us!).

Questions:
  • What is the cap on the number of people? 10 connections (including us) actually on the hangout, but more can watch live on YouTube and comment there. When we get more people we'll have someone monitor the live comments and mention them on-air.
  • Will Dustin be joining the conversations? Potentially, but right now we're focusing on the more technical aspects of web design instead of MagicEdit marketing per se.
  • How do you keep from one person dominating the whole 30 min? With difficulty. If there are lots of people on we'll have to limit them to one or two questions each.
  • Is 12:00 the best time? Was that picked because it might be lunch time? Yes, and it's in the exact middle of the week. We're open to suggestions on the time, but as we push to more viewers they might not be on the West Coast, so the middle of the day here is still working hours on the East Coast.
  • Are there any other web design / web development firms doing something similar? Maybe, but the Google+ Hangout thing is still pretty new. But we like to think of ourselves as pioneers. :-P

Other notes and ideas:
  • Guest speakers in the future? Sure. And doing it as a Hangout means they don't have to be on-site.
  • Topic coverage so you can manage expectations. Like are you going to be open to Photoshop questions? Can people ask about Text Editors? Just saying, I think if you list out some of the topics that you'll be covering that may let people know in advance if they should attend. Good idea. We were also thinking of using #WebWednesdays on Twitter for users to discuss possible topics, or this forum.
  • Not sure if you're already doing this, putting the video up onto your forums and having the discussion continue. Hear, hear.
  • Random Giveaways? What do we get?
  • Opportunity to refer to a recent article. What do you mean?
  • While you're talking, keep an eye on the chat on the left side, remind people to put up topics. Even if you can't cover them now, it may lead to a topic for next session so you get the person to come back. Maybe a job for a moderator. Often hard to multitask that much.
  • Banner in your background where you sit for some marketing We had it up last time, but this time it was being used at another event...
  • See if you can engage other web groups to join in the convo. I know you're listing on SacWebDev, but I'm thinking student groups. We're looking, and students are a great idea!
raw10

Return to Web Wednesdays