September 12, 2012 - Anchors named Bob and Repeat, Repeat

A place to discuss things that were on our weekly Web Wednesdays show

September 12, 2012 - Anchors named Bob and Repeat, Repeat

Postby raw10 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:58 pm

This Web Wednesday reminded me of my favorite knock-knock joke, which goes like this:

Knock-knock.
Who's there?
Repeat.
Repeat who?
Who. Who. Who. Who. Who.

If knock-knock jokes annoy you, how about websites that cram all their content onto a single page? I suppose there are clever uses for them, but I'm starting to think they are like a splash page intro that you can't skip: kinda okay the first time, but the next time you visit you just want some info and don't want to deal with it.

You can navigate a one-page site using named anchors, which are the sponsor for this week's session. We're not talking boat anchors, although I'm sure some avid mariners affectionately name their anchors (here's an anchor named Bob, an unfortunate appellation).

In HTML, named anchors exist to scroll the page to some specific content on the page. A typical use is the little "back to top" link you see from time to time. You stick an empty anchor named "top" (or whatever you want) at the top of the page, and then link to it from somewhere else in the page.

At the top:
Code: Select all
<a name="top"></a>

At the bottom, or wherever:
Code: Select all
<a href="#top">back to top</a>

Of course there are plenty of other applications of named anchors, but as always they should be used judiciously!

Repeat, Repeat

The bulk of our discussion today focused on a MagicEdit feature called MagicRepeat. It is, along with image management, one of the most powerful features of MagicEdit, enabling an infinite number of applications. Take any region of HTML that needs to be repeated with unique content, and any page that can be used as a template for additional pages. We're talking news entries, categories, products, blogs, articles, services, coupons, galleries, portfolios and way more.

Check out the video above and the documentation for the nitty gritty details!

WebWed Scheduling

We've gotten some feedback that noon might not be the best time for folks to join the hangout. How about doing it later in the day? Mid-afternoon? After work? Join in the discussion below and let us know your preferred time.

See you next time!
raw10

Return to Web Wednesdays